"A wife of noble character who can find?... but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:10,30
As a wife, mom, daughter, sister & friend I struggle each day with juggling the daily responsibilities. Are you like me? Do you find it difficult to keep the house clean, keep the pantry & refrigerator stocked, laundry washed & folded while working outside of the home or volunteering, oh & don't forget about spending time with your friends and husband & kids?
During this Christmas season even more responsibilities are piled onto us. Each year I go into the Holidays saying "this year I will focus more on Christ and the reason why we need to be Thankful & the reason why we celebrate Christmas". And each year before I know it Christmas is here and I have completely forgotten to slow down and enjoy the nativity with Baby Jesus in the Manger.
This year has been no exception. I knew I was going to be busy as I worked on a special project but I underestimated how busy I would be. As deadlines loomed and life at home continued as busy as usual I had to stop and look at my responsibilities. If I didn't, I knew those around me would suffer along with my ability to do the best work I could.
As busy as the Proverbs 31 woman was I knew I could gain some insights into where God wanted me to focus my priorities.
"She gets up while it is still dark: she provides food for her family..." verse 15
- The Proverbs 31 woman spent time in communion with God first thing in the morning. There were days when this was really hard for me (I have a son that will wake up as soon as there is a hint of movement in the house in the morning). On those mornings when the distractions and needs began before I was able to spend time in God's word I made sure I asked for an extra measure of His Grace and found a few moments throughout the day to read His Word.
"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." verses 11 & 12
- Jeff has been very supportive of my new responsibilities. He loves me and sees how important it is for me to follow God in His leading for my life. Even though Jeff is supportive and knows there are sacrifices that will be made I still have a responsibility to him as his wife. I need to show him love and support. I can not neglect my time with him. Each night after we get the kids in bed we make it a priority to sit with each other. Some nights we watch tv. There have been nights we have done Christmas shopping online for the kids. While other nights we've snuggled in front of the fireplace, sipping hot tea.
"She watches over the affairs of her household... Her children arise and call her blessed..." verse 27 & 28
- There are many good things for me to do with a lot of those being ways to serve God. But, my kids will only be young once and each day with them is a gift from God. Each day I tried to find something special to do with each of them. Some days it was a lunch outing or Christmas shopping, while other days it was reading a special story or baking Christmas treats. One thing we have made a point to do each night as a family is gather pillows and blankets in front of the Christmas Tree and read our Advent devotion.
Each of these insights has a common thread...slowing down and spending time with those who are most important to me - my God, my Husband & my Children.
I write this blog so that I - along with each of you - will remember in this crazy busy life to sit and spend time in The Calm of His Presence. This Christmas season I have been reminded through the Proverbs 31 woman what my priorities are. I know I have not posted as regularly as I had been but please know that I value each and everyone of you who stop by and visit. I have just had to step back and spend time with my family.
I would love to hear from you. Has God used something this Christmas season to remind you what your priorities are?
I'm linked today with Julie at Come Have a Peace.
In His Calm,
Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment