Welcome to Marriage Mondays. Today is a little different from normal. Instead of writing my normal marriage post, today I am linking with Rachel Olson from Proverbs 31 Ministries. She is having a Devotional Carnival titled Simple Pleasures. When you have a moment please take some time to visit her blog. You will be blessed! For those of you visiting from Rachel's blog thank you very much for stopping by. My prayer is that God will use today's post to speak to each of you whether you are new or returning.
BEEP, BEEP, BEEP... Ugh its 5:30 am already? I stumble out of bed and with blurry eyes walk into the kitchen for my morning jolt of caffeine. I kiss my husband goodbye as he leaves for work and sit down with my coffee. I know I have just a few minutes to read my devotion before the house begins to stir. Soon I will hear the pitter patter of little feet. With those feet will come breakfast to be made and kids to be dressed and readied for school.
As I sit by my window reading I can't help but be distracted by the long list of things to do that day. Then, out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of light. I turn my head and look out the window and see the most amazing view. There before me, God is painting the most incredible masterpiece. Streaks of pink, orange & purple begin to light up the morning sky. Within a few minutes more colors are added. Patches of fluffy white clouds begin to fill the baby blue sky. I sit in amazement as I watch God's Glory unfold before me. I am reminded of Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God..." Yes, He is God! He is The Creator of the earth and the Author of my day!
So often I begin my day rushing through my devotion to check it off my to do list. I rush around trying to do as much as I can before picking the kids up from school. When they return home I rush them through homework so they can begin their afternoon activities. Then I rush to prepare dinner and rush through the nighttime routine so the kids can get into bed. All daylong I rush, rush, rush. By the end of the day I have nothing left for my husband. And I especially have nothing left for God.
This morning God has used the simple pleasure of a sunrise to remind me to "Be still, and know that I am God..." I can begin this morning basking in the Glory of His masterpiece. Each time I am tempted to rush around I can use the memory of His canvas to slow me down and focus on Him.
I pray that as you begin your day you too will be reminded that God is The Creator of the earth and the Author of your day.
In His Calm,
Mary
So true....
ReplyDeleteMary, I loved the beautiful imagery of your sunrise... I could almost picture it in my mind! It's these daily blessings that we take for granite, thanks for that reminder!!
ReplyDeleteBe still and know that I am God, I love that, thank you for sharing andreminding me to slow down and enjoy what He has created for my simple pleasure.
ReplyDeleteI love the reminder that we should stop and appreciate God's creation, rather than rushing through life with a 'tick list' approach - even when it comes to reading a devotional! I pray we can all slow down and open our eyes...
ReplyDeleteRushing sure does steal the special moments that God surrounds me with too!
ReplyDeleteGreat reminder to slooooow down!
We cannot survive without those moments of being still and what a beautiful moment God blessed you with. Thanks for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteIsn't beautiful how God uses such simple things of nature like a sunrise to help us remember to focus on Him and enjoy what we are given? Great description and post. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteIn Christ,
Caroline
Mary, we were on the same page the day we wrote these devotions! Loved the imagery of the sunrise! Thanks for sharing with us.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are living in my house...when I walk the dog first thing in the morning, I am always so amazed when I look up and see what God has painted for me. Puts a whole new spin on the day! Thanks for your post and reminder to slow down!
ReplyDeleteMary, one of my vey favorite TV shows is called Sunrise Earth (Discovery Channel) for the very reason you described in this post. I even bought some DVDs of it so I could watch a sunrise and be calmed by it anytime!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you joined the carnival.
Simple Blessings ~ Rachel
I loved yourd words, "the memory of his canvas." I will remember that during this time and thank you so much for your prayers.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder to slow down and watch the sun rise. Seeing I rarely make it up that early ;) my favorite time to sit and watch God work is sunset. As we photographers call it "God's light" It's that special moment right before dark that takes your breath away.
ReplyDelete