The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18
So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man and he brought her to the man." Genesis 2:21-22
Dictionary.com defines helper as "a person or thing that helps or gives assistance, support, etc."
God knew it wasn't good for man to be alone. So, he made woman out of man's flesh. From the very first husband and wife God's plan was for us to work together.
When my husband and I were first married I entered our marriage a very independent person. I loved him very much but I was determined I would not lose sight of myself. In name we were one. In practice we were two. During our first year of marriage I did not rely on my husband the way God intended.
Just after we celebrated our 1st anniversary my husband became very ill. The illness was severe enough that we were not sure he would live to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. At that moment God taught me how we were to lean on each other for support. I learned what it meant to be my husband's helper.
My husband recovered and we have now been married for 12 years. During those months of recovery I worked to support us both in the home and outside of the home. Not only did I offer physical help but I also offered emotional help. I was there when my husband needed someone with whom he could talk, laugh or even vent.
Those months were hard on us emotionally, physically, and spiritually. But, God taught us valuable lessons about helping each other. We learned that neither of us could make it alone. When Jeff needed assistance getting to another part of the house, I was there. When I needed reassurance to know things were going to be ok Jeff gave me the hug I needed.
God taught us what he meant in Genesis 2:18 "It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."
How is God teaching you to help your spouse? I'd love for you to share your thoughts with us.
In His Calm,
Mary
Love this!!! I truly see God working when I see a couple serving and loving God and each other!! I see that with you and Jeff!! I pray many blessing upon your marriage and what God has in store for the two of you!!
ReplyDeleteLinked here from Julie's blog, "Come Have Peace" where I saw your blogged linked (my blog is Family Fountain). Very good article and good testament to Genesis 2:24.
ReplyDelete