"May the Words of my Mouth..."
With a few words we encourage, build up, inspire & praise. But, with just a few words we also deflate, hurt, anger or tear down.
Do I
- speak words that show my love for them
- speak words that show God's love for them
- encourage & praise them regularly?
- easily lose my temper with them
- focus on the things they do wrong
- have little patience with them?
"...be Pleasing in Your Sight..."
When I stop to reflect on these questions I realize there are areas I succeed in but, there are also areas I need a lot of work.
My husband & I often joke that I have no task patience but I have a lot of people patience. Unfortunately that isn't the case with my children. I want them to do exactly what I ask/tell them to do immediately. When they don't act immediately I become frustrated.
Problems arise when my words aren't pleasing to God. When I focus on & express my frustrations I hurt my children by showing them impatience. Too often I've watched them exhibit that same kind of behavior with each other, only to have me tell them to be nice & loving to each other.
OUCH! That Hurts!!
When I realize the impact my words & actions have on my children I am forced to examine those words in the eyes of God.
As I start to become frustrated or impatient, instead of showing those feelings I now stop and pray...
"Lord may the words of my mouth be pleasing in your sight. Help me show your love to my children. Help me teach them to show your love to each other."
When I stop, pray & take a deep breath I am Refocused on God instead of on me & my feelings.
When I'm focused on The Cross my words show God's love to my children.
Words of encouragement, words of patience, words of love please God.
What words are you using with your children? Do you speak words that build them up & inspire them, or do you speak words that hurt or deflate them?
Take time today to examine the words you use with your children. Ask God to reveal areas you need to work on in order to please Him.
Dear Lord thank you for your love. Show me words I use with my children that are not pleasing to you. Help me stay focused on you so that my words to my children show your love. Lord may I slow down and speak words that are pleasing in your sight. In Your Name I Pray, Amen.
I'm linked today with
In His Calm,
Mary

No comments:
Post a Comment