Did you see her? I’m sure you did. I know my sister & I
did.
She was the one popping up on facebook, pinterest,
instagram, & twitter sharing the perfect crafts & goodies she made with
her kids over the holidays. She’s the one who had the beautiful Christmas cards
out the day after Thanksgiving. And she’s the one who calmly welcomed dozens of
people into her perfectly decorated home to celebrate Christmas with made from
scratch goodies.
Yep, she’s Super Mom!
The wife, mother, sister & friend who manages to have it all together while
I’m the one struggling to remember what day it is.
I’m the one who ran out of the house like a crazy woman
trying to get to my son’s class Christmas party on time and the one who forgot
to send the books with my daughter for her gift exchange at school. I’m the one
who made a vow I would have my Christmas cards out just after Thanksgiving this
year instead of the end of January like last year. But to no avail…I was still
scrambling to get them in the mail before Christmas Eve. And I’m the one who
had the mismatched serving pieces and platters from the grocery store mixed
with some homemade goodies franticly scurrying around to make sure everything
was perfect.
In today’s world of social media it’s easy to compare
ourselves to other Moms. We see another woman and think, “Look at her, she has
it all together. Her children are dressed beautifully. Her husband comes home
to a hot cooked meal on the table every night. She works fulltime and keeps a
spotless house. But I can’t manage to get myself showered in the morning.”
On Christmas eve while I was sitting in the middle of my
floor at 2:30 in the morning wrapping Christmas gifts – yes I really was
wrapping gifts just hours before they were opened – I realized it’s not about being the “perfect” mom I
think I am suppose to be.
It’s about being the mom &
wife God wants me to be. God knew what He was doing when He placed my husband
& me together. He knew what He was doing when He gave me my children.
He knew exactly what my husband needed in a wife and He knew
exactly what my children needed in a mom.
I’m not called to be
the “perfect” mom & wife shown on facebook, pinterest, instagram &
twitter.
I’m called to be the PERFECT mom GOD called me to be!
But what does that mom look like? How do I know who that
perfect mom in God’s eye is? When I
spend time in God’s word - meditating, studying & praying - I learn how to
be the mom & wife God has called me to be.
He shows me what is important for my family. And He shows me
what sacrifices need to be made in order for my family to thrive. After all,
whether we want to admit it or not, the
“perfect” mom we see in social media has to make sacrifices too. We just don’t
see those sacrifices.
This year as I “Refocus” on the mom & wife God has called me to
be I will set my sights on pleasing God and being the “perfect” mom & wife
in His eyes.
Do you struggle with living up to the standards of the
“perfect” mom & wife you see in social media, I would love for you join me this
year on The Calm of His Presence as we Refocus our hearts towards God.
Dear Lord, Thank you for the gift of a loving husband and children.
Thank you that you trust me to love them and minister to them. Help me to stay
focused on your call for me in our family. Help me to be the “perfect” wife
& mom you have called me to be. In Your Name I Pray, Amen.
In His Calm,
Mary

No comments:
Post a Comment