This morning I woke up like any normal morning. I poured myself a cup of coffee and immediately set about making my kids breakfast. As usual the kids had a hard time deciding what they wanted to eat. "I want waffles, no I think I want cereal." The other one wanted yogurt and granola but then wasn't sure he wanted anything at all. I told him if he didn't eat breakfast there wouldn't be a snack this morning. Finally he decided on something.
Then, I sat down at my computer to catch up on emails. Waiting for me was a message that opened my eyes and broke my heart. I became acutely aware of how sheltered and blessed my life is. My dear friend and blogging mentor Julie Sanders at Come Have a Peace sent me an email asking for help. It wasn't a cry for help for her but for the people of the Horn of Africa which includes Eritrea, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Somalia. While my kids were having a hard time deciding what they wanted for breakfast there were kids in the Horn of Africa who would get nothing for breakfast.
Recently the UN declared famine in two regions of southern Somali. There are people such as Bono & Doctors Without Boarders who are responding in the name of humanity, their governments, their professions, and peace. Julie felt compelled to find those who are responding in the name of our Lord. As she searched for those groups she felt the Lord calling her to organize prayer & help.
I'm not asking you to tell me if, or how much you are donating. I only want to help open your eyes like mine were opened.
Tomorrow morning as I prepare breakfast for my kids I will remember to thank God for the overflow of blessings He has given me.
In His Calm,
Thank you so much for joining me Mary. I was praying for those who are suffering while I was flipping french toast this morning. It puts my own "likes/dislikes/desires" into perspective. So glad to have you with me in S.O.S.
ReplyDelete