Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Where has the time gone?


Where has the time gone?
I’ve asked myself that question too many times this week
·      during my daughter’s last Mother’s Day Program at school
·      while snapping photos of my son & daughter in their “dressy” clothes both ready for a date night with me & my husband
·      while making my daughter’s lunch for her class picnic
·      while helping my son carry in his class project he & his daddy worked on
·      when I woke up this morning & realized my baby is graduating from Kindergarten tonight.
My mind replays so many moments of their young lives from birth to their first steps, their first days in preschool to ballgames, spontaneous hugs & kisses to cuddling in bed for movie night.
But in all of the replays I find myself beating myself up for the brush-offs when I’ve been “busy” and pushed aside a child who wants attention. I feel guilty for not being patient enough to answer a curious question. And I regret losing my temper when a deep breath and calming hug would have been the best response.
That’s when I’m reminded to Refocus. Refocus my mind & heart on God and let Him lead my responses and my actions. And I need to remember to give myself grace because there may be days when I don’t get it all right.
I will make mistakes and become distracted. I will become impatient and react the wrong way. But, as long as I stay focused on the plans God has for me each day He will direct my actions & my thoughts.
When I begin to beat myself up I need to remind myself that there will be days when I have things that must get done & it’s ok for the kids to entertain themselves.
When I feel guilty for losing my patience I need to tell myself next time I will thank God that my son is so curious and help him learn by answering his question.
When I start to lose my temper I will remember Psalm 19:14
“May the words of my
mouth and the meditation
of my heart be pleasing in
your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

So, tonight as I cry through my daughter’s Kindergarten Graduation I will take in each and every moment of this gift from God. I will live for the moment and thank God for the honor of raising my precious children.

In His Calm,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...