Oh friends do I have a treat for you today!
My sweet friend Julie Sanders at Come Have a Peace has
a wonderful book of devotions that was released yesterday. EXPECTANT: 40 Devotions for New
and Expectant Moms is filled with insight & words of wisdom I wish
I had known as a new Mom. As I read each devotion I felt like I was sitting
with a friend over coffee listening to what I could expect as my body, my
marriage, and my life would change as my husband & I welcomed our new baby.
In honor of EXPECTANT and Mother's Day on Sunday Julie is visiting with us today & tomorrow to tell you more about
herself & EXPECTANT: 40 Devotions for New and Expectant Moms. So, grab a
cup of coffee and join me as I visit with Julie.
Find Julie on Twitter at @JulieSanders_ and join in the conversations about EXPECTANT on Facebook.
EXPECTANT is a collection of 40
devotions for new and expectant moms that uses transparent stories and biblical
truth to offer hope and wisdom to women transitioning into motherhood. If you
have dreams and hopes of what mothering will be, your heart is already Expectant.
Women
enter motherhood in a variety of ways, so EXPECTANT shares encouragement
for every mom as she grows into being a mother. That may mean she grows a
pregnant belly or a home study for adoption, but she will grow. By talking
about real issues like changes in your body, your marriage, your work, and your
schedule, EXPECTANT helps new moms think
through necessary transitions to find hope and confidence right there on the
changing table or playground.
Like
spending time with a loving, honest mentor over coffee, EXPECTANT uplifts women. The
devotions are organized into sections about you,
other grown-ups, the baby, and your new normal. Each one includes words
from scripture to grow your heart, as well as questions to get the conversation
started with a friend, mentor, or dad-to-be. It’s formatted so that it would be
easy to do with a partner or small group of moms.
Each
journey into motherhood is unique, but every mother’s heart is expectant.
How is motherhood
different than you expected?
I
knew I would love our children, but I never imagined how much I would enjoy our children. Every season has
been amazing, but moving through the changes of childhood, along with the
accidents and surprises, has kept me prayerful. Being a mom is great for your
prayer life!
Being
a mom has stretched me more personally than I ever expected. God uses
motherhood to expose my weaknesses, my failures, and my sin. While I’ve been
watching our kids grow, God has been growing my heart and life.
What are some of your
favorite motherhood books?
Shepherding a Child’s
Heart by Ted Tripp is
foundational. Sharon Jaynes’ book Being a
Great Mom, Raising Great Kids really challenged me when I was deep in the
elementary years. I was so inspired to make the most of time with our kids.
Vicki Courtney’s 5 Conversations
books for boys and for girls gave me direction as JoHanna and Jacob were
growing, especially since I never had a brother. I needed the wisdom from those
authors!
One
thing I’ve learned as a mom is that I should never stop learning, so I’m always
excited to find a new book or resource to make me a better mom. If I ever think
I’ve got all the bases covered, something changes and I’m sent to my knees,
searching for wisdom!
Your website is
called Come have a Peace. How do you find peace as a mother?
I’m
convinced God means for us to live out our days experiencing His peace in the
practical, real life, relational stuff of our days. For a mom, it seems
impossible sometimes, but we aren’t meant to stay in heavy, discouraged places
on our mothering journey. We’re meant to find peace, and Jesus said we find it
in Him, (John 16:33). Mamas need that message all day, every day, and often
through the night.
God
has used major transitions, distance from family, and multiple crises in our
lives to show me my “peaceful mom’s heart” does not depend on my circumstances.
I’ve become a “pray all day” kinda mom who cries out often and openly to the
only perfect Parent we know, God Himself. I’ve learned to give myself a lot of
grace and let myself off the hook of expecting perfection, refusing to compare
myself to moms around me. (Remind me of that, will you?) And I give our kids a
lot of grace, trying to keep the “big picture” in mind as God unfolds His plans
for them. He’s doing a great job with them!
The
greatest complement I receive is when our kids have friends over and they say,
“Your house is so … peaceful.”
Love that!
I hope you enjoyed hearing from Julie as much as I did
today. She will be joining us again tomorrow to share more words of wisdom for Moms. We would love to have you visit with us again tomorrow and when you come back, please bring a friend with you!
Stop by the EXPECTANT page to find out more and to purchase
your copy for $4.99 on Kindle or for use on the Kindle App.
No comments:
Post a Comment