I know its Sunday night & I'm just now getting my Thankful Thursday post up from this past Thursday. Which of course means there is a good chance I won't get Marriage Mondays' post up tomorrow. Sorry but I need a little Grace. The past week & a half has been a blur along with being some of the longest days of my life. My little girl has been going through some medical testing this week to rule out a brain tumor. I shared in my post on Monday about laying it all at the Altar last Sunday. This week I have needed to be more available for Caroline.
Part of being more available was surprising the kids with a trip to see their Dad's Aunt. They love Aunt Mary John and have been begging to see her for awhile. Jeff was busy this weekend so I thought "Why not, we could use some get away time. Even though we have been there many times & I know how to get there Jeff encouraged me to use the GPS. He put it on my dashboard. I pulled out of the driveway & didn't think another thing about it.
I put the kids music on the radio & started talking to my Mom on the phone. After a little while Garrett said, "Hey Mom, you should have turned back there." My reply, "Don't worry honey, its trying to take us a different way. I know the way we go," and ignored the GPS. Before long I was in the country & dropped the call with my Mom.
I looked at the GPS & wondered why the arrival time to our destination was 30 minutes later than it originally was. Then, as we entered the small crossroads community it hit me, I'm going the wrong way!
I should have paid attention when Garrett tried to tell me the GPS was telling me to turn. But, NO, I knew what I was doing. I knew where I was going. Never mind the fact that I was distracted.
How often do we do that with God? How often do we get distracted and not pay attention to where he is telling us to go? How often do we think, "I've got this Lord. I know you are trying to tell me which way to go but I know how to get there so I'm going my own way."
When we go our own way instead of following God we end up by ourselves, heading in the wrong direction.
"Trust in the LORD with all your heartand lean not on your own understanding;in all your ways acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight."Proverbs 3:5-7
We may not always understand why He is taking us in a certain direction but we can trust that God loves us and wants what is best for us. When you find yourself off God's map for your life take a moment to stop, pray & listen for God's path for you. He will guide you to his plans for your life.
As I refocused my attention on the GPS it led me to the interstate where I could take a faster more direct route to my destination. We arrived a little later than we planned & a little hungrier but we were ready for a great weekend with family.
Counting One Thousand Gifts #201 - #210
- clear CT scan
- moments to pray with my daughter
- great report from the Ophthalmologist
- answered prayers
- experiencing Peace that passes all understanding
- laying my fears & worry at the foot of the Cross
- normal behavior from my little girl
- notes of encouragement & prayer
- Garrett confiding in me about his 1st crush
- Great Aunts who dote on my kids
- unexpected side trips that remind me God has a plan for my life & He knows best
Counting 1000 gifts with Ann at A Holy Experience
In His Calm,
Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment