"...Aquila and Priscilla greet you warmly in the Lord,
and so does the church that meets at their house."
1 Corinthians 16:19
Priscilla and her husband Aquila loved the Lord. They did life together. They worked side by side making tents and worked side by side as missionaries with Paul. In order to work so closely together they needed to compliment each other. Where one had a weakness the other helped by using his or her strength . They frequently welcomed people into their home using it as a place to disciple other believers.
In today's busy world it is easy for husbands and wives to become preoccupied with their own respective schedules. There are many different areas of ministry in a church and we tend to want to serve in an area that interests us. Your husband may feel led to serve as Sunday School teacher while you serve in the nursery. You may enjoy serving meals on Wednesday night while your husband is a Deacon. These are all honorable ministries which can be very rewarding to each person. But, do you and your husband go your own separate ways when you get to church, not to see each other again until it is time to leave?
A few years ago Jeff and I found ourselves in this situation. He went to church early on Sunday's to help with the Greeter's Ministry while I came later with the kids. During the service I sang in the choir. Sometimes we would see each other in Sunday School but there were many times we didn't see each other at all while we were at church. On Wednesday's I would take the kids to church where I helped with the preschool choir & then went to my choir practice.
One day I realized we rarely had the opportunity to minister together let alone worship together. We both knew each of us needed to make some changes. Jeff began making it a priority to be in Sunday School and I began going to Sunday evening services with him before his Deacon meetings. We now attend Wednesday night dinners as a family. There are still some changes we need to make in order to minister more as a team but we are working in the right direction.
How about you? Are there some adjustments you and your husband need to make in order to worship & minister together? I would love to hear how you and your husband minister as a team.
In His Calm,
Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment