"The practice of giving thanks... eucharisteo... this is the way we practice the presence of God, stay present to His presence, and it is always a practice of the eyes. We don't have to change what we see. Only the way we see."
Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts pg 135
I felt sorry for myself tonight.
I had a headache. My husband was out of town. My friends were on a date with their husbands. My Mom was at dinner with friends. And I was "stuck" at home with my kids.
I was just plain in a bad mood!
The kids argued over where to eat. And all I wanted to do was curl up & go to sleep.
But, I didn't.
I begrudgingly "gave in" & decided to take them each through the drive thru of their choice. Little did I know how that one decision would begin to change the attitudes in the house.
The kids were thrilled they both were getting their favorite meals. And while they ate I had a chance to rest, helping my headache. As the headache cleared so did my perspective & ultimately mood.
The kids wanted movie night. Earlier I had said, "yes, but I get the couch to lay down by myself." Now, I suggested we climb up in my bed together & watching the movie...cuddled up ~ TOGETHER.
We Laughed. We Squirmed. We Loved.
What could have been a lost memory was salvaged all because my perspective changed.
Thank you God for changing the way I saw tonight.
What are you saying no to that if you said yes your perspective may be changed helping you see the special moments God has in store for you?
Counting One Thousand Gifts #165 - #176
- sleeping babies
- catching up with family
- cuddling up on the couch as a family watching college football
- helping with my daughters Sunday School class
- hard lessons learned
- friends who become like family
- saying yes to God
- field trip fun with my son
- cooler mornings
- rollover wakeups
- cuddling in bed watching a movie with the kids
- changing the way I see
Counting 1000 gifts with Ann at A Holy Experience
In His Calm,
Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment