Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Marriage Monday ~ Wives of the Bible ~ Rebekah

 

“When I came to the spring today, I said, ‘LORD, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come.  See, I am standing beside this spring. If a young woman comes out to draw water and I say to her, “Please let me drink a little water from your jar,”  and if she says to me, “Drink, and I’ll draw water for your camels too,” let her be the one the LORD has chosen for my master’s son.’"
 Genesis 24: 42-44



In Genesis 24 we meet Rebekah. She revealed her servant heart by performing actions beyond what was merely asked of her.

Rebekah was happy to give Eliezer some water but showed great initiative when she offered to draw water for his camels.  After many days of long travel Eliezer and his camels were tired. Tending to the thirsty camels was not an easy task. Rebekah used large heavy pots and made several trips from the well to the trough. As Eliezer watched Rebekah care for him and his camels he knew God had answered his prayers. Rebekah was the perfect woman for Isaac.

We, as wives, can use the same initiative and servant attitude Rebekah had to improve our marriages. When your husband asks something of you, how often do you do just what he has asked of you? Do you look for ways you can go above and beyond what he asks in order to serve him? What task can you do that would be helpful to him and take away a burden for him?

Last week was an exhausting week for me. I had a full week of cleaning, errands and activities with the kids and at church. I had a big meeting on Wednesday that I was nervous, anxious & excited about. On Tuesday night immediately after dinner I left for choir practice. The kitchen was a wreck and the kids needed to be bathed and put in bed. My only request of Jeff was that he get the kids bathed & in bed. I knew he had a busy day at work and was tired. As much as I dreaded cleaning the kitchen when I returned home I wasn't going to ask him to clean it.

When I returned home not only were the kids sound asleep but to my wonderful surprise the kitchen was spotless. Jeff went above and beyond what I expected and cleaned the kitchen for me. To some people that might not be a big deal but for me it was a blessing. It was one less thing I had to worry about.

When Rebekah took the initiative to go above and beyond what Eliezer asked of her she took some burden off of him. Eliezer knew she would be the wife Issac needed.

What burden can you take off your husband? Look for ways to minister to him this week. Some suggestions:
  • if he is working in the yard take him a bottle of water & sit and talk with him while he takes a break
  • if he has had a rough day at work take the kids out for a walk when he gets home so he can have some time of quiet decompression
  • send the kids to bed early & serve his favorite meal by candlelight
I would love for you to leave a comment with suggestions of how you can show a servant heart to your husband?

I hope you have a blessed week. Please join us next week as we continue our study of the Wives of the Bible. We will be studying Leah & Rachel as we answer the question do we seek approval from our husbands or others over God's approval.

I'm linked today with my friend Julie at Come have a Peace. Where she is talking about the Proverbs 31 Woman. Her post really blessed me today.

In His Calm,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...