Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thankful Thursday

"I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little." Phillipians 4:11-12 NLT

In Chapter 3 of One Thousand Gifts Ann writes about the need to LEARN eucharisteo - thanksgiving. Oh how that resonated with me. It is easy for me to see the big things I should be thankful for but often times I miss the little blessings in the everyday
I begin the day with a fresh attitude but, before I know it the kids are bickering, I've spilled my coffee or I'm running late and my attitude of gratitude is gone. I want so desperately to keep my attitude of gratitude all day! I know this will be a day by day, minute by minute lesson for me in thanksgiving.

This won't just be a lesson for me. It will be a lesson for my whole family. For a while now my husband & I have struggled with how to help our children appreciate what they have. Too often I break up little spats where the kids are arguing over a toy. We've realized the kids could benefit from learning eucharisteo. At dinner each night we make a point to discuss what we have to be thankful for. I have been amazed to watch the attitudes change right before my eyes - hostility and bitterness give way to joy and gratitude. Sour faces have been replaced with smiles and laughter.

I know this quest of living a life fully focused on thanksgiving will be a learning process for all of us, but, its one I'm excited to take.

#21- #32
  • fans that bring cool breezes on a HOT, beautiful summer day
  • Worshiping in the House of God
  • spontaneous thanks from my son
  • the laughter of a brother & sister getting along if only for a few minutes
  • great report at a doctor's visit
  • laughter around the dinner table
  • help from the kids with morning chores
  • hearing a sweet little voice singing praise songs during my quiet time
  • last minute play-dates
  • seeing the joy on my little girl's face as she makes it the length of the pool for the first time
  • soft piano music paying while I write
  • my baby girl growing up way to fast

I am counting my One Thousand Gifts today with A Holy Experience.






In His Calm,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...