Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, October 25, 2010

Daddy Icons

Wow! For the second Sunday in a row I find myself hit with shocking bad news. This time the news hit a little closer to home. We received news after church that someone who was like a father figure to my husband passed away.

Buddy was an extremely caring man. He loved his family and friends completely. He lived his life putting other people before himself. He was like a brother to Jeff's Dad. When my in-laws were both very ill Buddy made a point to visit them in the nursing home at least once a week. When they were in the hospital he saw them everyday. He was a breath of fresh air that always made us feel better when he walked in the room. 

Today when we were visiting with the family Jeff told Buddy's son that his Dad was like an icon in his house when Jeff was growing up. Buddy's son replied, "Dad was like an icon in our house too." With that comment tears began to flow from all of us. What a testament to Buddy. He was loved very much and will be missed greatly by many people.

One of the things we have held on to today is knowing that Buddy and Charlie  and Harriet (Jeff's parents) are having a wonderful time walking the streets of gold with our Heavenly Father. 

Many times my husband says he hopes our children know how much he loves them. When I look at how much they adore their Dad I see the love in their eyes and know they feel his love. Daily I pray that my husband will be the kind of Dad God wants him to be. 

"With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith." 1 Thessalonians 1:11

Do you pray for your husband to be the kind of Dad God wants him to be? If you don't, start praying today for God to work in the life of your husband making him the Godly Dad he needs to be.

For more Marriage Monday visit Julie at Come Have a Peace

In His Calm,

Mary

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you lost your friend, Mary. But, I am so glad that you know he knew Jesus. Thank you for the reminder to pray for our husbands to be the kind of Dads that will be "icons."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Monica. I love how God can turn a difficult time into a great teaching moment. Oh, how I want my children to see their Dad as a Godly loving Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great a nice post. I am sorry for your family's loss.
    Following you from Marriage Mondays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it sounds like you and your family have been so blessed to have the godly legacy of your father in law and your friend, Buddy, in your lives. They definitely had a great influence in your lives, and this is such a good reminder to be praying for our husbands to be those kind of men who leave a godly legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linked from Marriage Mondays. I join with the others to say sorry for your family's loss. YOu make a wonderful point about how important godly male role models are.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...