Wow! What an incredibly busy weekend! The last 3 days have been filled with chaperoning a college group to haunted houses, a trip to my sister's farm where my children rode 4 wheelers and tractors, and a fun filled fall festival at our church. Our whole family had a blast with everything.
As I look back over the weekend I realize that as much as I didn't want to go to the haunted houses I actually had fun. I have to admit that I very reluctantly tagged along as a chaperon. I only went because it was something my husband really wanted to do. I am NOT a fan of anything scary. I don't like horror movies and I don't like haunted houses. My kids call me scaredy-cat. And you know what, I'm ok with that.
But, when my husband asked me to go I knew it was important to him. I realized that it would be a way for us to connect even though it wasn't something I would choose. Despite the fact that I dreaded the night I actually had fun. We laughed and I screamed. I actually held on tighter to him than I have in a long time, something I think he enjoyed.
When Jeff & I were dating there were times I did things with Jeff because I knew he liked them. They were important to him and he was important to me. I loved him and wanted to be with him. We were best friends. As the years have passed we have become busy with our children and our everyday lives. This weekend we remembered what it was like to do things as friends.
Melanie Chitwood writes in her book What a Husband Needs From His Wife, "A helper who is a companion helps meet her husband's need for friendship. In Titus 2:4 we see that wives are to love their husbands, and the love this verse refers to is a brotherly friendship. The dictionary defines companion as 'a comrade or friend.' How is your friendship with your husband? Is it one of your top priorities? Is he your best friend?"
Jeff is my best friend. I love doing things with him. I am thankful that God gave me the opportunity this weekend to remember that we enjoy hanging out together laughing and even being scared sometimes.
Is your husband your best friend? Do you need to be reminded of your friendship with your husband? What can you do this week to bring back those memories of when you were dating and were friends.
In His Calm,
Mary
Mary, What an awesome friendship you have and what a sweet heart. Thank you for referring to my book! It's a good reminder to me to look for ways to be Scott's friend and to make sure I make time for that.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, and I can envision you holding on to your hubby. :) What a great example of enjoying the benefits of embracing our husband's suggestions and being blessed for it. My Jeff and I are getting ready to go away for a night together, just for some alone time. It IS so good to step away from life's busyness and just enjoy friend time together.
ReplyDelete