Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, November 29, 2010

The ABCs of Thanksgiving

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, Hebrews 12:28

I hope you all had a very Happy Thanksgiving. I had a wonderful time last week celebrating with my family. We took time away from our crazy, busy life and retreated to the mountains. There was no phone, no cable, and unless we made the effort to look for someone there was no one around. We were by ourselves and we were happy. We tossed the football, swung on "the dizzy" swing, hiked, read, played games and ate a lot.

I remember a number of years ago I was commuting to work on a cold, very early Thanksgiving morning. I was not happy I had to leave my husband on Thanksgiving. In the darkness of the early morning I realized I had a choice to make. I could be frustrated and mad I had to work or I could take the hour commute to thank God for the many wonderful things he had given me. I chose to thank Him. I decided to thank God by going through the ABCs. That morning I praised God during the sunrise and it wasn't long before my attitude changed.

The chance to slow down with my family this past week gave us a chance to think about how much we have to be thankful for. I decided to go back through the ABCs to list some of the many ways we have to be thankful. Here is my list along with some additions from my family.

A - Apple picking with my family
B - My bed, I love crawling in under the covers after a long day.
C - Cool, crisp fall mornings & everything that goes with fall
D - Date night with my husband
E - Eggnog, I discovered I liked it last Christmas
F - Frazier Fur scented candles
G - Guitars, my husband has several and I love to listen to him play
H - Hot tea & Hot chocolate
I - Impromptu hugs from my kids
J - Jesus & His death on the Cross to save us from our sins
K - My Kids, they are just awesome
L - Ladies night out with my girlfriends
M - Mountains, we love our family time away from the world
N - Nap time, they don't happen very often but when they do its refreshing
O - Open windows
P - Punctuality, specifically mentioned by my husband :)
Q - Quiet
R - Running, just started a few weeks ago & I love the energy it gives me
S - Sunrise & Sunset, I love watching God's amazing Glory displayed
T - Trucks & Tractors, my son's favorite toys
U - Ugg slippers, if I am home I have them on 
V - Vacations
W - Winter days when I can curl up on the couch with a good book
X- Extra measures of God's Grace when I need it
Y - Yearly traditions being established with our kids
Z - Zoo days, we love going to the zoo with the kids

I would love to hear what you are thankful for. I hope you have a wonderful week. And be sure to come back next Monday for more Marriage Mondays. I will have a special link up for you.

Today I am linked with Julie at Come Have a Peace.

In His Calm,

Mary

4 comments:

  1. Linked from Marriage Mondays. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this list. I love it, and there are so many more reasons to love you! :) I'm glad you had a great getaway with your fam, and you gave us all a good reminder of how sweet it can be to just be "together."

    I'll add a B to be thankful for ... Blog friends & their encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thanks for the sweetest niece and nephews in the world. oh and puppy dogs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warren - Thanks for visiting again! Julie - You are so sweet. Thank you for your encouragement bloggy friend. Ruth - Your niece & nephew think you are the best Aunt in the world and love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...