A momma bird swooped down and nearly hit the back of my son's head. She then circled around and did the same to my daughter. Neither of them could believe a bird could be so aggressive.
I took them back outside and explained to them the momma bird was protecting her baby birds. We have been watching several nests for the past few weeks. The eggs have hatched and the baby birds are beginning to grow. Now that they are a little older they are chirping more and bringing more attention to themselves. Because of that, momma bird has become more aggressive.
I explained to my children that momma bird is doing what comes natural. She doesn't want anything to hurt her babies and will do whatever necessary to protect them. I reminded them that I am that same way with them. If anyone threatens to harm them or upset them I will swoop in and do whatever is necessary to protect them.
I watched smiles spread across their faces as they realized momma bird loves her babies just like I love them.
I've thought about that moment several times since and as I've relived that moment I realized I am just like momma bird with my marriage.
I love my husband very much and want to do whatever I can to protect him and our marriage.
Marriage is a sacred union designed by God.
Each day marriages face potential danger from the world. Do you see your marriage as something you need to protect? Do you keep vigil like the momma bird sitting on a gutter watching out after her young?
Threats & danger from the world can be both obvious & subtle.
- Flirting or suggestive comments from a coworker.
- New accepted "normal" marriages in the media.
- Over-scheduling of our lives to the point we push out any alone time with our husband.
- Exhaustion from sleepless nights with a baby.
What does keeping vigil over your marriage look like?
- Daily pray for your husband and your marriage.
- Encourage your husband.
- Thank him for all that he does for you and your family.
- Start by praying for the specific incident.
- Go to your husband & express your concern and then pray together.
- Do whatever is necessary to remove yourself &/or your husband from the situation.
Leave me a comment letting me know how I can pray for your marriage. I would be honored to join you in your vigil.
In His Calm,
Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment