Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, April 9, 2012

Marriage Mondays - Renovations

Yet, O Lord, you are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter;
we are all the work of your hand.
Isaiah 64:8


As I write this post I hear the sounds of chisels banging, saws cutting & tile breaking. I hear men grunting & panting & see them wipe sweat from the brows. 

These men are doing demolition work in our bathroom. We had a leak in our shower that over time caused the baseboard to rot. This rotten baseboard got our attention & has caused us to undertake a full bathroom renovation.

As the men pulled the shower pan out of the house we saw the culprit of our damage. A large crack in the pan that was only visible from the underside of the pan. Oh, I knew there was a small crack but I had no idea it went ALL the way through or that it was as LARGE as it was!

As the demolition has progressed we have found other signs of water damage we didn't know existed. Luckily we've caught them early but, we wouldn't know about it if the rotten baseboard had not gotten our attention.

This hidden damage can be found in our marriages. How often do little "leaks" happen that we don't acknowledge?
  • Inconsiderate words used during a disagreement.
  • Not following through on a request from our husband.
  • Side glance at someone attractive that is not our spouse.
These "leaks" don't have to be large. They can be small, fleeting moment episodes but, over time can added up and cause major underlying damage. 

We may not realize anything is wrong until one day we noticed a "rotten" baseboard. 
  • We just aren't connecting the way we used to.
  • Things that may have once been small disagreements turn into large, blown out of proportion fights.
  • Where we once may not have given someone else a second look we begin to think more about them.
If you find these "rotten" baseboards in your marriage they may be signs that something else is going on deeper in your marriage. Like what's taking place in the repair/renovation of my bathroom, it may be time to take a look at the "underside" of your marriage. Are there "leaks" in your marriage that you haven't noticed?

Let God be the "contractor" of your marriage renovation. Ask Him to show you the leaky cracks that are causing unseen damage to your relationship with your husband. 

I would love to pray for you. Leave me a comment letting me know how I can pray for you as you undergo a renovation of your marriage.

I am linked today with Courtney at Women Living Well.

 





In His Calm,

Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...