Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Friday, February 24, 2012

Thankful Thursday ~ when fear wakes us in the night

Screams & cries waken me.

My heart beats wildly and my head spins as I shake the cloud from my eyes and head.

He stands there shaking...flailing his arms...grasping... trying to climb up next to me for protection.

For more nights than I can remember my son's battle with night terrors continues.

Sleep deprivation is taking its toll. I want a good nights sleep.

But its not about me. Its about the boy who is terrified of the dreams in the night. Its about him wanting my protection.

Desperately in the stillness of the night I try to get him to understand God, his Heavenly Father will protect him. I sing Jesus Loves Me in his ear and tell him Jesus wants to curl right up next to him and wrap His arms around him.

Slowly he begins to quiet down and gently falls back to sleep as I'm left awake... begging God to protect his mind & thoughts while he sleeps.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, 'He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.'
You will not fear the terror of night...
If you make the Most High your dwelling-
even the LORD, who is my refuge;
then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."
Psalm 91:1-2, 5, 9-12

Continuing the Joy Dare #462- #494

  • a clean room
  • freshly laundered clothes
  • bubbles blowing in the wind
  • warmth of the sun shine
  • dawn of a new day
  • comfort when its hard
  • realizing my daughter is not so little anymore
  • separating pieces to a puzzle
  • making memories of scooter races
  • cooler temps
  • empty bench waiting to be rested on
  • an afternoon nap
  • birds building nests
  • chalk drawings
  • extra affection from my son
  • guidelines from the state association
  • baby steps to forgiveness & restoration
  • little helpers
  • filling in for a sick teacher
  • not getting upset when I had to move to 'plan C'
  • wrapping my arms around my scared son
  • warm coffee from a brand new coffee maker
  • picnic lunch in the warm February sun
  • sitting down for a homemade dinner
  • blank sheets of paper with so much potential
  • fluffy, cotton like clouds blowing through the baby blue sky
  • tossing soft baseballs with my daughter
  • open heart & mind to change plans
  • bad weather coming in
  • lack of sleep that causes me to say closer to home
  • wind-chime making music in the breeze
  • looking through a window to see the world outside
  • a deck to enjoy the beautiful day
 
Taking the Joy Dare of counting 1000 gifts with Ann at A Holy Experience 


In His Calm,

Mary
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...