Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, November 7, 2011

Marriage Monday ~ Wives of the Bible ~ Abigail


"...Abigail. She was an intelligent & beautiful woman, but her husband, a Calebite, was surly & mean in his dealings." 1 Samuel 25:3
Abigail was kindhearted, intelligent & beautiful. Despite the fact that her husband was surly, mean & took her for granted Abigail tried to keep him out of trouble. Nabal's rash & impulsive behavior put his life and those around him at risk. Abigail saw the bigger picture and new if she didn't step in to promote peace David would take things into his own hands instead of letting God handle Nabal.

My husband is nothing like Nabal and I pray your husband isn't either but we can each learn a few things from Abigail.

  • Abigail was kindhearted. Do you look out for the best interest of others? Do you try to look for ways to help your husband even when he doesn't appreciate it?

  • Abigail was a peacemaker. When she saw that her husband made David very angry she went to David to help ease his anger. Do you promote peace in your family? Do you look for ways to ease the anger & hurt of those in your family? 

"Otherwise, as surely as the Lord the God of Israel, lives, who has kept me from harming you, if you had not come quickly to meet me, not one male belonging to Nabal would have been left alive by daybreak." 1 Samuel 25:34

  • Abigail was loyal. Because Abigail was loyal & protected her husband his servants also did what they could to protect him. Do you stand up for your husband to others? Do you allow your children to over-hear you praise your husband to others?
  • Abigail was sensible & was able to see the bigger picture. She knew she needed to wait until Nabal was sober before she told him of her interactions with David or he may over-react and do something foolish if she told him while he was drunk. Do you wait and ask God to give you the wisdom to discuss difficult topics with your husband? It may not be a situation like what Abigail was in but, timing is everything when it comes to discussing difficult issues.
I would love to hear what you have learned from Abigail. I would also love to know how I can be praying for you and your marriage. Leave me a comment and let me know how I can be praying for you.

I'm linked today with my friend Julie at Come Have a Peace.
 





In His Calm,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...