Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, November 28, 2011

Marriage Monday - Crazy Life


Do you ever get so busy you feel as if your world is spinning out of control? I do! And that is where I am right now.

Life has so many "requirements" I barely know where to begin. From getting kids to school...preparing for meetings...making deadlines...spending time with friends...celebrating holidays with family...preparing for my church's Twin Living Christmas trees to worship the birth my Lord & Savior.

None of these are bad things. In fact most of the things that have me so busy right now are things I gladly participate in and thoroughly enjoy! But none the less they require time and unfortunately I don't have an infinite amount of time.

When life gets busy it is easy for things to be affected. Something has to give & possibly suffer in order to focus on something else.

Unfortunately the thing that suffers is sometimes my marriage. I have a strong marriage. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt my husband loves me & will always be beside me. So when things get crazy-busy around here I take my relationship with Jeff for granted and don't give him-it the time he-it needs. Before I know it we aren't "clicking" & I can't figure out why.

When we don't "click" life gets harder. My mood suffers & my desire & excitement to do the things that I need-want to do goes south. And before I know it everything around me including my husband becomes a burden.

I don't want that to happen during this Christmas season. In the busyness of life I want to enjoy the Christmas shopping. I want to enjoy the deadlines. I want to enjoy my friends. And I want to enjoy my kids and my husband!

How can I help keep me & Jeff "clicking" during this busy time? By being intentional with my time with him. Even if its a few minutes in the evening. I need to make time to listen & focus completely on him.

Here are a few ways I focus on Jeff.
  • Get the kids fed & in bed while he is away at a meeting. Wait & eat dinner with him when he gets home. (We were eating dinner last night at 9:00. :-) )
  • Take 10 minutes to give him a shoulder rub and let him talk about whatever is on his mind. (Don't use this as a time to give him his honey do list for tomorrow :-) )
  • Find out what is on HIS honey do list and work on doing at least 1 thing on that list each day.
  • Got to make a quick trip to the store? Pick up a special treat just for him.

What are some ways you take a few minutes out of your day to focus on your husband? I would love to hear them.

Linked today with my friend Julie at Come Have a Peace.
 







In His Calm,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...