Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, April 25, 2011

Dating our husbands

I hope you all had a very blessed and Happy Easter. Our Easter day was spent Celebrating our Risen Lord and a fun afternoon with family.


It was 4:30 pm April 25, 1998. My heart beat wildly. My stomach did flip flops. There I was, all alone, no one else was in the sanctuary. I stood in front of the church in my wedding gown holding a white bouquet of flowers waiting for my groom to walk down the aisle to me. I was nervous, not because I was nervous about getting married, but because I wanted Jeff to see me as beautiful. I wanted to take his breath away. We spent 9 months planning the perfect wedding day. I spent countless hours trying on wedding gowns and making my veil. I wanted the moment we first saw each other to be special and memorable. As Jeff walked down the aisle to me he took my breath away. I was taken aback by his dapper appearance. As he reached me he took my hand in his, said "I love you" and gave me a tender kiss. I will never forget that moment. There we were, just the two of us in the House of God ready to begin our new life together.

"How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves. How handsome you are, my lover! Oh, how charming!" Song of Songs 1:15, 16
Today we celebrate our 13th anniversary. Friday night Jeff surprised me with a night all to ourselves. He arranged for the kids to spend the night with some friends. As I readied myself for our date I experienced the same feelings I felt the day we were married. I carefully picked out the perfect outfit. I took extra time putting on my make up and fixing my hair. Just like I did on our wedding day I wanted Jeff to see me as beautiful. I wanted to take his breath away.

Life gets busy and all too often we become comfortable in our marriage and forget to date and woo our husbands. Dating our husbands can be simple. It can be elaborate or it can be somewhere in between. Friday night was wonderful. We talked and laughed and shared things we haven't been able to share for a while.

Here are a few ideas for dating your husband
  • Make arrangements for the kids to spend the night with friends and go out to dinner. In the morning before picking up the kids go to breakfast at a local coffee/bagel shop. (That's what we did this weekend.)
  • Take your husband on a picnic to a local park. Don't forget the candles to add a nice romantic touch. 
  • Plan a weekend get away.
  • Surprise your husband by picking him up at work and treating him to lunch.
  • Do you live near a college town? Take your husband to a sports event.
I would love to hear some of your ideas for dating your husband. You might just give someone the perfect idea they have been looking for.


In His Calm,


Mary

6 comments:

  1. I love your suggestions. I'd like to hear more creative ideas that are not expensive from other readers. We have gotten grandparents to keep the children and gone to a hotel in a nearby town for the weekend. It wasn't very expensive and it still felt like getting away together. At home, there are always the pressures of "getting things done."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Monica. Saturday morning I did feel the urge to put up the folded laundry but Jeff reminded me I could do that later in the day. We had a short time to hang out just the 2 of us :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!
    We don't go on dates often, but out for ice cream and to the beach (off- season) are two favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the off-season beach idea. One of my favorite things to do at the beach is take a long walk but we can't do that when we take the kids during the summer. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the idea Theresa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary - and thank you for the reminder ... We live far away from family & we have a nursing baby right now so overnights alone are impossible BUT there are SO MANY other ways to date at home or for a few short hours - it's just a matter of planning ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are certainly in the season of life where it is impossible to get away by yourself for overnight trips. I will be praying for you. It wasn't too long ago I was there too. Just a few hours can be the spark you need to remember why you fell in love with your husband.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...