Greetings, ladies (and perhaps a gentleman or two)! Thank you for allowing me to intrude into the block of time you usually share with my wife through the written word. I’m honored that you’re reading my ramblings, and even more honored that Mary has asked me to make this contribution to her blog. Today’s subject: “What does it mean to me to know that my wife is praying for me?”
In a word, “Everything.” Prayer is intimate communion with our Heavenly Father. The things we choose to include in our prayers generally meet two criteria: 1) they are important to the person praying, and 2) they are important to God. When Mary talks to God about me and on my behalf, it conveys to me how important to her I actually am. It also signifies her recognition that God also cares for me. This process has the effect of enhancing not only her trust in God, but also in me. My wife’s trust in me is something I value more that all the treasures of the earth.
Paul, Silas, and Timothy – in their first letter to the Church in Thessalonica – admonish their audience to “Pray continually… for this is God’s will for you…” Many have incorrectly assumed that this scripture means we should do nothing but pray 24/7. It does not. Rather, it means that we should pray again, and again, and again. The moments we do spend in prayer though are special; they are fractions of that most precious and finite resource: time! Mary does not have all day every day available to spend time in prayer. The fact that she spends a measured portion of that time praying for me tells me that I’m one of her top priorities.
It has been said (and I’m paraphrasing) that when a man knows he has his wife’s support and confidence, there is little or nothing that can shake him. But if he doubts her allegiance, his self-confidence withers to dust. When Mary prays for me, I know she is “in my corner”. I know we are one. All men (if they’re honest) want their wives to be their personal cheerleaders – publically and privately. I am no different. Is there a better cheer or encouragement than to know that my wife goes before the Creator of the universe on my behalf? Not for me there isn’t. Those of us who know God know that only good things come from Him – the best things, in fact. Mary’s praying for me means that she, too, wants only the best for me.
Another positive aspect of Mary’s praying for me (and one that admittedly I’m sometimes reluctant to accept gracefully) is that she offers wisdom in her counsel. As the spiritual leaders of the home, men often like to think that we have all the correct answers. I do bear the burden of accountability for decisions made on behalf of my household, and I could – if I so chose – simply make all of those decisions of my own accord. To do so, though, would be folly because I would be depriving myself of the resources of insight Mary gleans from her conversations with God about such matters. This revelation really should come as no surprise. Proverbs tells us of the Wife of Noble Character that,” She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.” Absolute truth.
Wives: Pray diligently and earnestly for your husband. Tell him you are praying for him. Ask him if there are any specific concerns on his heart you can take to the Lord in prayer (a GREAT way to foster deeper levels of communication between the two of you). Let not one moment pass when he might be inclined to doubt your love and support.
Husbands: Covet the prayers of your wife. Tell her you appreciate them. Tell God too. Value the counsel you receive as a result of her prayers on your behalf. Take pride in the fact that you are important enough to her that she chooses to spend a portion of her precious time with her Heavenly Father talking to Him about you.
- A Grateful Husband
Keep praying for your husband. You will be amazed at the difference it will make in your relationship with him. I would love to hear how this series has strengthened your marriage.
I am linked today with Julie at Come Have a Peace.
In His Calm,
Mary
I have asked for wisdom for my husband, and so many times I am amazed by the wisdom that God has given my husband. God really does answer our prayers.
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing!!!! Please tell your husband what a blessing it is that he shared his perspective here. It is so good for more women to see what it really does mean to our husbands when we pray for them. I know that praying for my husband and him praying for me has meant so much to our marriage. God helps us to go to Him and pray for the person that means the most to us. It is such a gift to be able to bring his concerns to our Father and lay them before Him on my husband's behalf.
ReplyDeleteI shared this post on my facebook page. Excellent post!
God bless you both!
Building Home with Him,
Mary Joy
I've been praying for my husband recently. Today he told me he's thinking about doing a whole different trade and not working in his field anymore...hmm...I don't know if God's moving him to think this way or not, but it's exciting.:)
ReplyDeleteIt's so wonderful to hear Jeff's thoughts on how he feels when you pray for him. I've watched your relationship as it has grown through the years and I think a testament to it's strength is not only your love for each other but your relationship with God. The support you seek not only for yourselves in God but also for your spouse is such a gift to your marriage. Thanks Jeff for opening up your heart and showing us as wives how we can better show love to our husbands. You have encouraged me to be a better cheerleader.
ReplyDelete