"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:5
Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you are all having a wonderful day. I know this may surprise a lot of people but, my husband and I do not celebrate Valentine's Day. We made that decision while we were starving college students the first year we were dating. We had just celebrated Christmas, my birthday was in January and Jeff's birthday was in February. The thought of having to spend more money made us sick. Seventeen years later we still don't celebrate Valentine's Day.
Instead of focusing on one day to shower my husband with love I try to make it a point to frequently show and tell Jeff I love him. I don't ever want my husband to wonder if I love him. There are times we both may mess up and be a little snappy. We may not always do or say the right things. We may get a little selfish and think but, what about what I want. But one things is for sure we have never doubted the love of each other.
I am reminded of God's love for us in Romans 5:5 and John 3:16. God showed us how much he loved us by sending his son, Jesus Christ, to die for us even though we were sinners. Despite the fact that we mess up. We do things to hurt Him and we turn away from Him. He still loves us. He loves us in spite of who we are. How absolutely amazing is that. I am in awe of the love God has for me.
When I think about the love God has for my husband and for me I know there is no way I could ever love Jeff as much as God loves each one of us. But, I want Jeff to know without a shadow of a doubt that I love him with all of my heart. How do I do that? I do that in several ways.
1. I frequently tell him I love him. Before either one of us leaves the house I give him a kiss and hug and tell him I love him.
2. I do little things I know mean a lot to him. Jeff loves coffee. So each morning before he leaves the house I make him a travel mug of coffee.
3. I pray for him daily. In case you missed it my last several posts have been on praying for our husbands.
4. When Jeff gets home from work I stop what I am doing (for example facebook, cleaning, phone-calls) and pay attention to him and ask him about his day.
5. I try to surprise him from time to time with things I know he likes. This weekend I surprised him with an overnight trip out of town for just the 2 of us. It was a wonderful time to reconnect.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of things I do to show Jeff I love him. These are just a few examples. I would love to hear about some of the ways you show your husband you love him. You never know, what you share may give someone else the perfect idea to show her husband how much she loves him.
In His Calm,
Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment