Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Way of Love

The Way of Love
 1 If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. 2If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. 3-7If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

   Love never gives up.
   Love cares more for others than for self.
   Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
   Love doesn't strut,
   Doesn't have a swelled head,
   Doesn't force itself on others,
   Isn't always "me first,"
   Doesn't fly off the handle,
   Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
   Doesn't revel when others grovel,
   Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
   Puts up with anything,
   Trusts God always,
   Always looks for the best,
   Never looks back,
   But keeps going to the end.  8-10Love never dies. (The Message)


I have read 1 Corinthians 13:1-10 more times than I can count.  To be honest there have been many times I have read over this passage quickly and not paid close attention to what it says.

This weekend my husband and I had the incredible opportunity to get away by ourselves. We visited a destination city just a few hours from our home. Our immediate reaction was to think of all the fun things we could do and see. However, we quickly realized this was the time for us to relax and enjoy each others company.  So often we are too busy to experience "us". This Saturday we meandered down cobblestone streets, sat on benches overlooking the water and felt the breeze as it blew across our faces. We sat quietly, we talked, we laughed, we focused on each other.

We were reminded how much we love each other. We have weathered some incredible storms in our marriage but, God has given us the strength to hold tight to one another. When I read over the words of 1 Corinthians 13 I see how God pulled us through. So many times we could have become selfish and said "me first" but we chose to care more for each other. We could have been critical but, we looked "for the best." No matter what was going on we always trusted God to get us through. And you know what? He proved Himself faithful!

I am so thankful that God gave us this weekend to enjoy the love we share. I pray that God will remind you of the love you share with your spouse.

In His Calm,

Mary

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart today. I am sure that like me reminders of the love we share are just as important as all the THINGS we do in a marriage.

    Blessings to you today!
    Jennifer
    www.jennifersikora.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard Al Greene interviewed on the radio this morning (the singer not the strange political candidate-lol). I didn't realize that he is a very devoted follower of Christ, a Reverend. He talked about how he did not want to sing his songs for a time because they were not specifically "christian" but that God had told him that it was ok, God had given him the songs and it was fine. When asked what his favorite one was he said, "Let's Stay Together." Yeah, I thought! I immediately went and played that very loud on my itunes..."Loving you whether/times are good or bad/happy or sad...we oughta stay together..." Thats what your post reminded me of. :.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the remark that without love, I am bankrupt. In a season of distress, especially economic distress, couples would be wise to remember that love never depreciates, never collapses and never fails. If we hold on to that, we can take what comes and get through it. I pray for all the marriages that are buffeted by the storms of economic stress. Thanks for this post today.

    I'm visiting from Marriage Mondays. I appreciate your posts and will add them to my feed. I need these types of words in my life. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies thank you so much for your comments. My prayer is that those marriages going through storms will focus on God's love and that He will NEVER fail us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...