Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Labels

-->
“As you come to him, the living Stone – rejected by (humans) but chosen by God and precious to him – you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ . . . you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”
1 Peter 2:4-5,9
Labels. We all have them. We are all known for something. Some labels are given to us by others; some labels we give ourselves and other labels are given to us by God.
My husband & I have talked a lot lately about what we are known for. We are all known for something whether we know it or not, carrying around labels that are both good and bad.
Others may label us as argumentative, hotheaded, weak, uncaring or kind, generous, faithful, honest. While we may label ourselves as unorganized, shy, insecure, unglued or loving, welcoming, strong, light-hearted.
In chapter 3 of Unglued Lysa TerKeurst shares with us that,
“...labels start out as little threads of self-dissatisfaction but ultimately weave together into a straitjacket of self-condemnation…trapped inside these straitjacket struggles was a girl dying to break free from all the self-defeating labels. Some prisons don’t require bars to keep people locked inside. All it takes is their perception that they belong there. A soul who believes she can’t leave…doesn’t.”
That is where God comes in.  
He shatters the negative perception and labels I place on myself.
I love the truth Lysa shared with us,
“It is beautiful when the Master chisels.”
“God is calling us out – out of darkness, out from those places we thought would never get better, out of being stuck.”
He takes me through difficult & sometimes almost unbearable times in my life to break through the rough “stone” and reveal the beautiful “spiritual house” he knows that I am.
His labels for me are far more beautiful than I or anyone else can imagine, “you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, … you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God…” 1 Peter 2:5,9
When I become discouraged I remember that there were people who labeled Jesus as crazy, a lunatic, and a liar.
But God labeled Jesus as the Breath of Life, Salvation’s Choice, Prince of Peace, Fire from Heaven, Glorious Treasure, God Head Trinity, Mediator & Faithful Pastor.
When I keep my eyes & heart focused on God & how He sees me I can overcome any negative labels that I or anyone else may place on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...