Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, May 23, 2011

Strictly Manners - Guest Post with Mary John Boswell


Good Morning! Thank you for joining me on my 3rd week of guest posts. My prayer is that I will be back next week with a marriage post. My recovery is going very well. Thank you for your prayers for me and my family.

This morning I would like to introduce you to Jeff's Aunt Mary John. Not only is she my Aunt by marriage but she is also my friend. My kids love being around Mary John. They never know quite what to expect. She knows how to make life fun & exciting. There are even times when "Mary Poppins" may show up to help teach them manners in a fun way. I would love for you to visit her website, Strictly Manners where you can find out more about the classes she teaches for various ages from children to adults.


First, I would like to say how honored I am that Mary asked me to write a piece for her blog.  If you were to ask Garrett or Caroline, who I am they would say their Aunt Mary John.  Jeff’s, father, Charlie Boswell, was my wonderful big brother.  We were very fortunate to grow up in a very loving and interesting family.  Our father was born in 1896 and didn’t marry until he was 40.  Our mother was 17 years younger than our father.  They had two children Kay and Charlie; fourteen years later they had a surprise, me!  In fact, I was such a surprise they didn’t know what to name me, so they gave me both their names.  Mama’s name was Mary and daddy’s name was John…so, that’s how I got to be Mary John.  Then there were two more surprises after me, Chris and Stan! Our father, Johnny (name he was known by) ran the oldest independent grocery in Columbia, S.C.  Even though he was our earthly father, he was truly the most unconditionally loving person, I’ve ever known.  He always said if you look deep enough into any man's heart you will find good.  Never was he known to say one unkind word about anyone and he considered anyone that traded at the store part of our family…to be taken care of, which he did.  Our mother, Mary Frances Boswell, was blessed with many talents.  She was an amazing nurse with the gift of healing hands.  She was also a Martha Stewart way before there was a Martha Stewart!!  Wish I had inherited some of her culinary talents.  Oh well, I do love to decorate!  Our mother was very strict about many things, especially manners and civility.  In fact, the name for my website is a tribute to her “Strictly Manners”. 

Strictly Manners, is a very respectful term for the way we were raised and it has served me well.  In fact, knowing what to do, when to do it and how to do it can be life changing.  Imagine never having to second guess yourself in any professional or social setting.  It’s called confidence and people are attracted to it.   

Manners are also how we show respect and consideration to others.  Remember that the words, “PLEASE…THANK YOU…and YOU’RE WELCOME” are not just social niceties; they are essential words in our vocabulary.  Every waking moment we have a choice about how we behave and interact with one another.  By treating you with respect I will appeal to the best in you, urging you to do the same to others.  Remember that someone is always watching you, be the example that can change someone’s day or the world. 

I always finish my seminars with my favorite quote by Maya Angelou:


"People will forget what you said…People will forget what you did…but they will never forget how you made them feel."


God Bless you all...

Mary John Boswell (also, known as Maja…another story for another time)


Thank you Mary John for telling us a bit about yourself and why good manners are so important.
In His Calm,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...