Week 3 of Jonah Navigating a Life Interrupted by
Priscilla Shirer spoke to my heart in a number of areas.
The overarching theme was that God will do whatever is
necessary to reconcile with us. Somehow, someway He will get our attention.
God loves us too much to leave us where we are when it’s not best
for us. God isn’t lazy. He will take the action necessary to discipline us so
that we will cry out to Him.
Four principles for reconciling with God were shared.
1.
Acknowledge our sin
Being
honest with God about our disobedience isn’t easy. But the first step is
acknowledging the sin in our lives.
“Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me & know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139:23,24
Have
you honestly sat down and asked God to search your heart and reveal your
disobedience?
2. Accept
God’s discipline
Accepting
God’s discipline is hard. Like a child who becomes angry and upset when her
parent disciplines her we can become angry, upset or blame others when God
disciplines us.
God’s
discipline of Jonah was painful but he gave himself completely over to God by
allowing himself to be thrown overboard into the raging sea. He was now
completely willing to obey God.
“It was good for me to be afflicted so that I could learn your statutes…I know, Lord, that Your judgements are just and that You have afflicted me fairly. “ Psalm 119:71,75
Do
we accept God’s discipline of us, or do we become angry, upset & blame
others for God’s discipline?
3. Ask
for forgiveness
When
we repent we confess to God and agree with Him that we have sinned &
disobeyed Him. We ask Him to change our mind, attitude and our actions.
True repentance requires a
full mind, body and spirit renewal.
Often
times our feelings don’t want us to change but when we truly repent we are
willing, despite those feelings to stop running from God. We must choose to
follow God by faith and allow our feelings to change over time as our hearts
become more in tuned with God.
Have
you given your mind, attitude and actions completely over to God?
4. Act
on God’s direction
“But as for me, I will sacrifice to You with a voice of thanksgiving. I will fulfill what I have vowed. Salvation is from the Lord.” Jonah 2:9
Priscilla shared that “Jonah
used a Hebrew word translated vow in
our English Bibles”. “In most cases, the context (of this word) shows that the
vow implies a promised gift for sacrifice, not merely a course of action as is
implied in the English word vow.”
I especially loved the quote
she shared…
”Whatever you are holding onto in this life, hold it loosely so it won’t hurt when the Lord has to pry your
fingers open to take it away.”
Ouch!! Am I willing to
sacrifice & give up the things I love so dearly in order to act on God’s
direction?
This week was filled with so
many areas of reflection. Join me tomorrow for Thankful Thursday as I look at
how our prayer lives can be enhanced.
In His Calm,
Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment