Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, December 13, 2010

Things to be treasured

But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19

On Christmas morning 25 years ago I sat in my Grandparents den rocking my new baby cousin as she slept in my arms.  While I rocked her gently, I watched my cousins and my sister and brother running around playing with their brand new toys. I listened to my Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles and my Mom & Dad as they sat around the table laughing and telling old stories. Luke 2:19 came to my mind that day.  Time could have frozen and I would have been perfectly content. As far as I was concerned life couldn't get much better. I remember looking forward to the day when I had a family of my own to take to my Grandparents and celebrate Christmas in that same home. I am amazed at how vivid that memory is for me so many years later.

Years later I had a husband and a brand new baby and was looking forward to adding the first Great-Grandbaby to those crazy Christmas mornings at my Grandparents. But on December 20, 2004 my world was rocked. My Grandmama passed away unexpectedly. My Grandmama & I were very close. And when she died a part of me died with her. That first Christmas with our new baby was nothing like I expected.

A couple of years later we settled into a new Christmas morning tradition with my husband's parents. But then, they both very unexpectedly became ill. For the next 3 years our lives were a roller coaster and each year Christmas looked different. So, for the second time my dreams of my family celebrating Christmas with Grandparents ended.

We are now entering the 2nd Christmas without my husbands parents. A few nights ago my husband and I were sitting on our couch in front of our fireplace. The only light in the room was from the Christmas tree and the wreath & lamps on our mantle. We both commented on how we felt like we could enjoy Christmas again. Most of the last 6 years have been clouded by some sort of sadness. This year is different. We have hope again. Our kids are excited about Christmas and we are able to enjoy it with them. We can remember the times we spent with loved ones who are no longer with us but, we can also build new memories with those who are still with us.

The best part about this year is that today our daughter accepted Christ as her personal Lord and Savior. After I said the prayer with her to ask Jesus into her heart she looked at me with a big smile while touching her heart and said "Jesus is in here now." As I sat in front of our Christmas tree holding my little girl Luke 2:19 came to my mind again. This time I treasured the memory of my little girl becoming a Child of God.



Oh, the winners of last Monday's giveaway are GrammaGrits & theaikenite. Thank you to everyone who posted on my blog and on Shari's blog. I had a great time meeting new bloggy friends. I hope you all have a wonderful week finding things to treasure this Christmas season.

In His Calm,

Mary

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful, heart-filled post. I could feel the relief in your words as you and your husband realized you could once again enjoy Christmas. Praising Jesus for your daughters salvation, what a great joy!
    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...