Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, January 3, 2011

Praying for our Husbands

"I know the thoughts I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call on Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

 
The new year brings with it time to reflect over the last year and also time to think about what lies in store for the next year. As I thought about 2010 I remembered the many ways God has touched me and the many ways he has asked me to serve Him. One thing that came to my mind was how God called me to my knees in prayer. This past year I began praying with a group of women to bring revival to our area. I also began leading the Prayer Team for the Women's Ministry at my church. At different times I have felt led to pray for family members, friends and our country. 

As I thought about all of that a book I read many years ago came to my mind. About 11 years ago I read a book by Stormie Omartian call The Power of a Praying Wife. There have been many times throughout my almost 13 year marriage to my husband where I have spent countless hours praying for him. I have prayed him through grad school, work, meetings, and through a long stretch of illness with both of his parents. It would be easy for me to pat myself on the back and say "well done, you are a good wife". But, the problem is I haven't consistently been praying for my husband like I should this past year. Now I have certainly prayed him through short term crisis when they have arisen. But I haven't been daily on my knees praying for specific areas.

This past week I went to a local bookstore and purchased a new copy of The Power of a Praying Wife. I have started reading it again. If you have never read it I highly suggest it. Each Monday I will write about what I have learned and how God wants me to pray for my Husband. There are 30 areas she discusses. Because there are so many and I only post on Mondays I will not be able to talk about each one. I would love for you to get the book and join the conversation. I know we could all learn a lot from each other.


I want to share with you the first paragraph in her book.


"First of all, let me make it perfectly clear that the power of a praying wife is not a means of gaining control over your husband, so don't get your hopes up! In fact it is quite the opposite. It's laying down all claim to power in and of yourself, and relying on God's power to transform you, your husband, your circumstances, and your marriage. This power is not given to wield like a weapon in order to beat back an unruly beast. It's a gentle tool of restoration appropriated through the powers of a wife who longs to do right more than be right, and to give life more than get even. It's a way to invite God's power into your husband's life for his greatest blessing, which is ultimately yours, too." 

I am linked today with Julie at Come Have a Peace she is discussing how we can get our husbands to pray with us. 

As I pray for my husband I will also pray for you and your marriage. Please let me know if there is any specific way I can pray for you. I look forward to the ways God is going to teach us to pray for our husbands.

In His Calm,

Mary 

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I am a new follower from Marriage Mondays. I am reading Power of a Praying Parent. It is a great book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nichole,

    Glad to hear Power of a Praying Parent is so good. The book I bought has the Power of a Praying Wife, The Power of a Praying Parent and The Power of a Praying Woman all in one book. I am really looking forward to reading the Power of a Praying Parent. Thank you for following my blog. I pray God will use it to minister to you and others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prayed for Dan using the Power of a Praying Wife every day that he was deployed. It's a powerful book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to hearing what you're learning in this book. What a great way to start the new year! I'm certain that the Lord will bless you and your hubby as you spend time on your knees for him. So glad to you started Marriage Mondays with me in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...