Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

Monday, January 2, 2012

Marriage Monday ~ Intentionally Loving my Husband & Children

 “Forget the former things;
   do not dwell on the past.
 See, I am doing a new thing!
   Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
   and streams in the wasteland. 
Isaiah 43: 18-19
Each year January 1st brings with it hopes and dreams for a new year. Some people can't wait to leave the old year behind them where others leave the old year with wonderful memories. I am one of those people who leaves 2011 with wonderful memories. During 2011 God stretched me and molded me into a calmer person who is willing to give more grace to my husband & my children. I have begun to realize the need to slow down and enjoy the moments God has given us.
Several years ago I prayed and focused on Isaiah 64:8 
"Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."
I am the work of God's hand! How amazing is that! He is my Heavenly Father and loves me more than life itself. He is "doing a new thing" in my life. 

Because God has amazing things in store for me in 2012 I know I am going to be exceptionally busy as I work on the tasks He has called me to. In order for me to be the wife and mom I am to be to my husband and children I need to be intentional with my love towards them. It is very easy for me to become focused on my list of things to do. I plow full speed ahead and don't take my eyes off the goal until I reach it.

As I have prayed about what God wants me to work on personally this year the word INTENTIONAL keeps coming to mind.

I need to be intentional with
  • my time
  • my love 
  • and my actions
towards my husband & my children.

But how am I suppose to be intentional in the busy life we lead?

I must slow down and enjoy each moment. 

  • When my daughter asks me to push her on the swing ~ I need to stop cleaning the kitchen and go outside and push her on the swing.

  • When my husband, who is sick, needs a little bit of TLC ~ I need to be willing to slow down and make him a cup of hot tea and cuddle with him a little.

  • When my son who is all boy wants me to sing "one more bedtime song" ~  I need to sing the song he wants even if its "too many verses".
Life is short. I have learned that before we know it the moments God gives us with our loved ones can be gone. I want to savor every moment I have with my husband and my children. I want them to know how much I love them. I want them to feel how much I love them. In order for them to know & feel the love I have for them I must actively show them.

Is God asking you to be intentional with your husband and your children? Is He asking you to slow down and focus on those who are most important to you? Take a few moments today to ask God what "new thing" He would like to do in your life with your husband and children? And then take the first step by asking Him to show you one way you can do that today.

I'm linked today with Women Living Well Wednesdays










In His Calm,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...